About the Office of Vocation
The Office of Vocation is the body in the United Church’s structure that supports the accreditation of ministry personnel. Through the Office, these functions previously performed by presbyteries and Conferences have become a permanent part of the General Council.
The Office of Vocation also relates to candidates for ministry through the Candidacy Boards.
The Office of Vocation supports the processes for the discernment and training of ministry personnel, the determination of their fitness/readiness for accreditation, the fulfillment of continuing education standards, and the formal processes for oversight and discipline of ministry personnel. View an introductory video.
The Office of Vocation is supported by staff in the General Council Office and deployed Office of Vocation ministers.
To carry out its responsibilities, the Office consists of the Board of Vocation and several committees and commissions:
- Board of Vocation: the elected member body accountable for the work of the Office of Vocation to the General Council
- Standards for Accreditation Committee (Standards Committee): implements the policies set by the General Council by recommending standards to the Board of Vocation in the areas defined by The Manual, section E.2.2
- Credentialing Committee: supports processes for ministry partners, admission applicants, and chaplaincies, and determines and responds to applications from ministry personnel who wish
- to be readmitted from the Discontinued Service List
- to be intentional interim ministers
- to become educational supervisors
- Response Committee: determines the best process to follow with respect to concerns raised about ministry personnel and ensures there are trained and supported reviewers, investigators and conflict resolution facilitators and people with other expertise as required
- Remedial Committee: assesses findings related to the effectiveness of a ministry personnel or investigations about alleged breach of ethical standards, and may initiate formal complaints
- Candidacy Boards: name candidates for ministry, terminate candidacy, determine readiness for accreditation for commissioning to diaconal ministry, ordained ministry, and designated lay ministry; the Provisional Indigenous Candidacy board serves the Indigenous Church
See Elected and Appointed Members Involved in OV for the people who serve on each of these bodies. With regret we announce that the Rev. Susan Beaver has chosen to withdraw her acceptance of the offer to job share the position of Office of Vocation Minister serving the Indigenous Church. Susan feels called to healing work, worship leadership, and continuing to minister in the Grand River Community. We thank her for her consideration of the role with the Office of Vocation and wish her well. The Rev. Dr. Will Kunder will continue as the Office of Vocation Minister serving the Indigenous Church.
For More Information
- Save the date for a free webinar: Ministry in the New Structure: What Ministers Want to Know. NB: The date and time have changed to January 30, 2019, 1:00 p.m. ET/10:00 a.m. PT. Find out more and register on United-in-Learning.com. If you can't make this session, you can watch a recording afterwards at the same link.
- Introducing Your New Office of Vocation Ministers (November 2018)
- Office of Vocation Progress Report (May 2018)
E-mail: officeofvocation [at] united-church.ca (Office of Vocation)