Faith Formation Pilot Program
Inspire lives of faith grounded in the life, mission, and sacrifice of Jesus Christ.
The United Church is beginning a pilot program to invite communities of faith to a lifelong process of faith formation. We are seeking participants to gather, evaluate, and share Christian faith formation resources and best practices and build connections within and beyond the United Church.
For more information, contact:
Faith Formation Resources
To nurture new life
Resources to nurture the growing faith of children, youth, and adults.
- 24/7 Jesus series: This series of Bible studies is for adults and young adults who want to explore the Bible and Christianity in a small group setting with a United Church of Canada ethos. The first title, A Short Course on Faith for the Questing Christian, is supplemented by a Guide to Spiritual Growth and a Youth volume suitable for confirmation class or youth study groups.
- Children, youth, and young adults are valued members of our faith communities, with much to give and to receive. Explore the Children, Youth, and Young Adults section for more opportunities for young people to get involved.
- Explore What We Believe for an overview of United Church principles of faith, and Faith Statements for the church’s formal expressions of faith.
- Christian Foundations: A resource produced by the Anglican Church and Wycliffe College on Christian basics. It covers the basic tenets of the Christian faith and practices for all those who want to know more about God, Jesus, church, sacraments, serving, and witnessing. Available from Wycliffe College, Toronto, for $30; Wycliffe also offers a free sample workbook for download.
To nourish the roots of faithful witness
Resources to nourish daily practice through prayer, Bible reading, worship, and social action.
- Bullseye: Aiming to Follow Jesus: A United Church small-group resource for the whole community of faith, complete with accompanying workbook. For all those interested in growing in faith and engaging in six faith markers identified by the produced by North Bramalea United Church: using spiritual practices, worshipping together weekly, discovering authentic community, serving, giving generously, and sharing Christ. Order the e-book, download a sample chapter, and view the companion videos at UCRDstore.ca.
- The Presence Project: “Surely God is in this place! Help me notice.” Brother Lawrence, a simple, lay monk in 17th-century France who worked in the abbey’s kitchen, was so attuned to the presence of God that even in the midst of his mundane chores he knew he was experiencing the sacred. Would you like to transform the culture of your church using a simple immersion process for deepening spirituality? Learn more at The Presence Project or contact presence.uccan [at] gmail.com.
- Faith bears fruit in action: explore Social Action, Partners in Mission, Ways to Give, and Worship Resources for some of the ways United Church people live out their faith.
- Bible Reflections for Older People: This periodical of daily Bible readings is produced by the Bible Reading Fellowship in the UK.
- Vibrant Faith Institute: The Foundations Program and Specialized Faith Formation Courses, delivered online, are for full-time, part-time, or volunteer leaders who care about faith formation in their communities. Designed to help you develop practices for faith formation with all ages and generations, the course costs US$750 (please contact cpullenayegem [at] united-church.ca to inquire about possible subsidy).
- Forma: Faith formation resources for families, children, and adults produced by the Episcopal Church in the USA.
- Vision4life: Free small-group resources for exploring the Bible and discovering ways of prayer compiled by the United Reformed Church of the UK.
- Lifelong Faith Workshops & Presentations: A free compilation of resources for leaders.
Spread the Good News
Share reflections on faith and faithful living on United Church of Canada blogs and social media.
On either side of the river is the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, producing its fruit in each month; and the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.