What We Believe
We are committed to being a welcoming church that is opposed to discrimination against any person on any basis, and affirm that all human beings are made in the image of God regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. We welcome into full membership and ministry people of all sexual orientations and gender identities (lesbian, gay, bisexual, two spirit, trans,* queer+).
More and more United Church communities of faith are going through a process to declare that they are Affirming—fully inclusive of people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
* Trans is often used as a substitute for transgender, to include people of a wider variety of gender identities who may not feel comfortable adopting the term transgender.
What You Can Do
- Find an Affirming Ministry.
- Celebrate, honour, and affirm LGBTQIA+ and Two Spirit people with a Pride Celebration service: find a variety of worship materials and links to additional resources in our worship section.
- Plan for other worship services; a number of special Sundays focus on sexual orientation and gender identity issues.
- Celebrating Gender Diversity: Five Stories: listen and learn from the experience of trans people of faith in The United Church of Canada (recorded webinar)
- Gender Identity in the Church: Learn about ways to become more welcoming to people of all gender identities (also see the resource Celebrating Gender Diversity under Downloads, below)
- Explore Recommended Resources, Timelines, and more under Downloads, below
- Find an LGBTTQ+ affirming summer camp (see Sexual Orientation Resources under Downloads, below).
- The whole church is invited to participate in IRIDESCE: The Living Apology Project. View Moderator Jordan Cantwell’s invitation to participate in Iridesce.
Trans and LGBTTQ+ Groups
Connect with trans and genderqueer groups as well as LGBTTQ+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, two-spirited, queer+):
- Affirm United/S’affirmer Ensemble: a voice and support for people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
- Groups: Affirm United / S’affirmer Ensemble
- Page: Affirm United/S’affirmer Ensemble
- Open group: Trans and Gender Identity in The United Church of Canada
- A private group open only to trans and genderqueer people (to join, e-mail trans [at] united-church.ca )
- To stay in touch with the latest church news, join the United Church Trans Network, for trans people and their allies (contact trans [at] united-church.ca ).
Men’s and Women’s Groups
For more information, contact