Resources to support ministry leaders in establishing healthy and vital pastoral relationships.
- Compensation and Benefits: Visit the Compensation and Benefits section to learn about your group benefits, pension, and salary.
- Financial Assistance: Limited funds are available to provide financial assistance to ministry personnel and lay leaders.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program: Learn more about this confidential counselling service.
- Leaves and Absences: Church policy and employment legislation allow eligible ministry personnel to take time away from their regular responsibilities for various reasons.
- Learn about maternity leave, parental leave, and sabbatical leave in the Pastoral Relations: Engaging and Supporting resource, available under Downloads, below.
- Financial assistance to help pastoral charges enable sabbatical leave may be available.
- Also review the health benefits in your Group Benefits Plan and the short-term Restorative Care Plan.
- Buying United: Group discounts are available to lessen the financial strain for both ministry personnel and communities of faith.
Guidelines and Policies
Be sure to review the following, under Downloads, below:
- Ethical Standards and Standards of Practice for Ministry Personnel
- Guidelines for Counselling by Ministry Personnel
- Sexual Abuse Prevention and Response Policy
- Pastoral Relations: Engaging and Supporting
(Note that there is a mandatory training on the Sexual Abuse Prevention and Response Policy.)
Education and Networking
- United Fresh Start: This educational program is for ministry personnel and lay leaders serving congregations that are in transition. For more information, including details about the curriculum, go to United Fresh Start.
- Webinars: United in Learning offers distance learning for church leaders on a variety of topics, from strengthening your ministry practice to budgeting to planning for retirement.
- EDGE: A Network for Ministry Development: EDGE offers a number of resources to strengthen the vitality of both ministry personnel and communities of faith. EDGE’s coaching program connects certified coaches one-on-one with lay and ordered leaders.
- United Church Foundation Granting Funds: When considering your continuing edication and sabbatical opportunities, check out the funding options available on the Foundation website.
- Strengthening Congregations: Invigorate your congregation’s ministry and mission with resources to deepen your understanding of belonging, hospitality, compassion, witness, and hope.
Staying in Touch
- Connex newsletter: Connex keeps readers on top of issues affecting your health and benefits, pension, employment policies, and other initiatives. Back issues can be found on United Church Commons.
Comments or questions? We’d love to hear from you. Please contact