Co-worker in Mission | 2019-2023 | Salary + Housing | Bilingual (Spanish/English)
The United Church of Canada is seeking an individual to serve as Co-worker in Mission with the Regional Ecumenical Advisory and Service Centre (CREAS) in Colombia for a four-year term.
Position: Coordinator of the Regional Advisory Office
This position is a cross-cultural embodiment of the mission relationship between the United Church and the Regional Ecumenical Advisory and Service Centre (CREAS). CREAS is an ecumenical organization that seeks to strengthen the capacity of the ecumenical movement, churches, and social organizations to promote civil, political, economic, social, cultural, and environmental human rights. The candidate will be appointed to serve and represent CREAS to state and NGO agencies, UN agencies, and other church and ecumenical agencies and organizations based in Colombia. The candidate will be assigned to the Colombian office in Bogotá with occasional travel to different regions, including Ecuador, Peru, Meso-America, and Dominican Republic.
The incumbent will work in a satellite office in Colombia under the direction of CREAS's General Director (matters of institutional representation) and Executive Director (programmatic responsibilities), both of whom work in the CREAS office in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The Executive and General Directors will maintain regular contact virtually and, occasionally, in-person. The incumbent should possess comfort in taking initiative in a small office environment; the ability to identify, develop, and follow through projects; and the ability to identify funding sources while representing CREAS to state and NGO agencies.
- Develop and maintain relationships with diverse sectors of the ecumenical movement, inter-church cooperation, international cooperation (i.e., official development assistance), and the state
- Identify sources of funding accessible to CREAS for the development of its activities
- Develop projects that can be submitted as applications to diverse entities
- Complete financial and narrative reports
- Participate in the name of CREAS in different processes as requested in Colombia, Ecuador, Meso-America, and the Dominican Republic
- Participate in CREAS team meetings through planning, monitoring, and evaluation, as well as other meetings as deemed necessary by the Executive Director (in Colombia or other countries)
- Represent CREAS in Colombia (legal and institutional representation)
- Active commitment to, and articulation of, the gospel of Jesus Christ with solid knowledge of the mission and ministry of the United Church
- Strong communication skills (written and spoken) in Spanish and English are essential
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work in a satellite office environment
- Ability to independently develop and implement work plans while working with long-term goals and objectives in mind
- Ability to exercise self-awareness, sensitivity, and compassion when working within areas of cultural difference
- Personal integrity, maturity, and respect for others essential
- Experience in sourcing and obtaining funding
- Capacity for teamwork
- Knowledge of churches and the ecumenical movement
- Demonstrated experience in developing project proposals, proposal writing, and reporting using principles of results-based management
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Willingness and ability to move to Colombia and work under the direction of this United Church global partner
This position works from the CREAS office in Bogotá, Colombia with occasional travel to neighbouring countries. Work hours may be extended from time to time depending on the nature of the project. The appointment will include a home assignment at the midway mark.
This appointment is subject to the following conditions
- a positive recommendation for overseas service from the United Church's medical consultant based on a thorough medical examination, and the approval of an application for insurance from the United Church's overseas medical insurance carrier
- a satisfactory outcome from a Police Records Check through the Canadian Police Information Centre (via the RCMP)
- global partner approval