- Section 1: Five-day course, October 22-26, 2018, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., with some evening homework, on AST campus in Halifax
- Section 2: Practical experience. Participants supervise a real person, in order to practise skills and integrate learning. Consideration of suitable supervisees is to be discussed with one of the instructors.
- Section 3: Five-day course, May 6-10, 2019, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., with some evening homework, on AST campus in Halifax
One of the most important ministries that congregations, hospitals, and social ministries can offer is a setting for the supervision of students. This Ministry of Supervision course prepares lay and clergy participants to effectively supervise designated lay ministry (DLM) applicants, ministry-based students, interns and field education students, or equivalent.
The Ministry of Supervision course provides learning situations for participants to experience, practise, and reflect upon the skills and methods of supervision.
This course helps participants to improve the quality of their supervision skills as they
- identify their specific learning needs and prepare a learning covenant
- gain a basic knowledge of the supervisory process
- practise supervision skills and receive feedback
- further develop their skills in theological reflection
- discover their own patterns of supervision in ministry
- articulate a theology of ministry grounded in their experience of supervised learning
- Case studies and practice supervision sessions
- A learning covenant to clarify the participant’s goals and objectives
- Learning modules covering various facets of supervision
- Concrete information on all aspects of supervision administration
- Self, peer, and team leader evaluation
- Cost is $1,250 for the entire course (all 3 sections). This includes lunches and breaks. Participants are responsible for their own travel arrangements and accommodations.
- A $300 subsidy from the General Council Office will be applied to United Church participants.
- The application deadline is July 24, 2018. (Enrolment is limited.) A completed application form, written reflection, reference, and application fee of $50 must be received by the application deadline.
- Notice of acceptance into the course will be sent by August 28, 2018.
- Confirmation of a participant’s intent to attend and payment of tuition must be received by AST by September 22, 2018.
Applicants are encouraged to request an application package from the Course Coordinator, Rev. Dr. Sally Shaw, at sshaw [at] astheology.ns.ca (subject: Ministry%20of%20Supervision%20Course) or 902-429-6495.
For more information, please contact:
Rev. Dr. Sally Shaw
Ministry of Supervision Course Coordinator
Atlantic School of Theology
660 Francklyn Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 3B5
sshaw [at] astheology.ns.ca (subject: Ministry%20of%20Supervision%20Course)