Cost: $1,225 (residential rate: program materials, accommodations, and all meals)
Engage Difference! Deepening Understanding for Intercultural Ministry (DUIM) is an interactive and engaging ecumenical program for anyone who is part of a community of faith. It is offered by the Forum for Intercultural Leadership and Learning (FILL, formerly the Canadian Churches' Forum) of the Canadian Council of Churches. It focuses on intercultural ministries, racial justice, privilege, power and more. It also offers practical ways to incorporate the learnings into your local context.
Here’s how one participant described the DUIM:
The DUIM course, with its sensitively integrated and local approach, challenges persons of faith to choose listening before judging, sharing before walking away, receiving before dismissing, and loving before condemning. If we can help one another learn to do this a bit more each day, maybe we will live into a renewed relationship, both with God and with one another in all the complexities and diversity of this broken yet beautiful world God has created.
—Marie-Louise Ternier-Gommers, DUIM Saskatoon (2016) participant
If you are interested in discovering how to effectively nurture faithful relationships across difference, gathering insights on cultural relevance, and deepening understanding and awareness in your faith community, then this is the perfect program for you.
To apply for a United Church of Canada bursary of up to $700 toward your registration fee, follow the steps below. Please note that all costs in addition to this amount are payable by you, the participant.
- Before registering, read the DUIM course description.
- Register with the Forum for Intercultural Leadership and Learning (deadline: April 29, 2019).
- After you register, FILL will be in touch with details for paying the $100 deposit, the confirmation of your registration details, and information about paying the balance of fees.
- Complete the United Church Bursary Application (deadline: April 29, 2019).
- To be eligible for a United Church bursary, you must first register for the program with FILL and pay the deposit fee.
- Additional funds may be available from your region or community of faith. Securing diverse sources of funds (other than just this bursary) enables more United Church participants to attend DUIM.
- Confirmation of bursaries will be announced by e-mail. For more information about bursaries, contact cim [at] united-church.ca.
More about the venue can be found on the Sandy-Saulteaux Spiritual Centre’s website.