The United Church of Canada, in partnership with the World Council of Churches’ Commission of the Churches on International Affairs, is presenting a webinar on anti-Black racism and Afrophobia. This webinar is part of the church’s participation in the UN International Decade for People of African Descent.
Carol B. Duncan
- Topic: Beyond the Underground Railroad—legacies of slavery in Canada
- Background: A member of the Anglican Church, Carol works at Wilfrid Laurier University as Coordinator of the Women & Gender Studies Program and Professor in the Department of Religion and Culture.
- Topic: The realities of Black youth in Toronto in schools, the youth justice system, and the workforce
- Background: Kofi’s roots are in the United Church. He is the former Executive Director of the CEE Centre for Young Black Professionals in Toronto.
- Topic: Ethnoracial relations, the emergence of anti-Black racism, and connections to the Doctrine of Discovery
- Background: Néstor is a Latino-Canadian theologian. He is a member of a Pentecostal church, but works actively across denominational traditions. His research focuses on contextual, cultural, and liberation and decolonial theologies. He is a Visiting Scholar at the Emmanuel College Centre for Research in Religion.
- Topic: Anti-Black racism, Afrophobia, and the Canadian Council of Churches—challenges and opportunities
- Background: Peter is a member of the Christian Reformed Church in North America and works as the General Secretary of the Canadian Council of Churches.
The webinar will be facilitated by Semegnish Asfaw Grosjean (Program Executive, Commission of the Churches on International Affairs of the WCC). It will be moderated by Adele Halliday (Team Leader, Discipleship and Witness at the United Church).
How to Join
This webinar will be hosted on Fuze video conferencing. To join from your computer or mobile device, join the videoconference at this link. You will be prompted to join using the Fuze app for the highest quality video and audio experience. Download the Fuze app ahead of time for the best experience.
Review the WCC instructions for using Fuze ahead of time to ensure you can connect successfully.
You can also join via your web browser or by phone. To join by phone, see this list of Fuze’s international phone numbers. Choose your country, dial the number, then enter the meeting ID 14513235 followed by the # key.
The webinar will be recorded. Sign up here to receive a link to the recording (once available), as well as related information and opportunities for follow-up by e-mail.
For more information, e-mail cim [at] united-church.ca .