The United Church of Canada is looking for individuals interested in applying to be a Steward at the World Council of Churches Central Committee meeting in Geneva, Switzerland, June 7–23, 2018.
The Stewards Programme aims to bring together a dynamic and diverse group of 20 young people from all over the world.
Stewards are between 18 and 30 years old. English is the working language of the programme. Some understanding of French or German would be useful. Stewards need to be prepared to take part in an intensive schedule of activities and long, tiring work days. Working hours are irregular, and often special programmes are planned after work for the stewards. Active participation in spiritual life, patience, ability to work with people from other countries and cultures, and willingness to work together as a team, are essential. The deadline for application is January 31, 2018.
Applications are made to the World Council of Churches; use the form under Downloads, below.
All completed applications require the following documents. Make sure you have them ready and in order before sending to the World Council of Churches. Only completed applications will be considered.
- Recent curriculum vitae/resumé
- Two recommendation letters: one from the General Council Office of The United Church of Canada; one from an ecumenical body
- A copy of your passport
June 7–23, 2018 (not inclusive of travel)
WCC will be responsible for accommodation and food during the programme and may provide a small amount for pocket money while in Geneva. Travel costs to and from Geneva are the responsibility of the steward.
- Have a valid passport that does not expire before January 1, 2019
- Demonstrated commitment to, and engagement in, The United Church of Canada (locally, regionally, and/or nationally)
- Willingness to continue to be part of networks of education and faithful advocacy and to offer leadership within the United Church
- Willingness to speak to United Church groups about the experience and its impact on their faith journey
- Written piece (about 400 words) summarizing the experience, with 5 high-res pictures
- Speaking engagements to United Church communities of faith about the experience
- Ongoing commitment to leadership within The United Church of Canada
Application Process and Timeline
Applications are made to The World Council of Churches by January 31, 2018.
Before submitting your application (under Downloads, below), you will need to have requested a letter of recommendation from the General Council Office of The United Church of Canada. Please send the request to pip [at] united-church.ca and include a summary of the gifts and skills you would bring to the stewards program, and a brief outline of how you plan to continue in leadership within the United Church.
The second letter of recommendation needs to come from an ecumenical group you are involved with (for example, KAIROS, World Student Christian Federation, Student Christian Movement).
In your final application, please use the subject line WCC Stewards, and copy the United Church at pip [at] united-church.ca .
If you have questions about this application, please e-mail pip [at] united-church.ca .