Affirm United/S’affirmer Ensemble (AU/SE) is seeking a Project Coordinator for The Living Apology Project, from March 2017 through August 2018. The project is to be a collection of stories of the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Two-Spirit Transgender Queer (LGB2TTQ) community within The United Church of Canada, including allies of LGB2TTQ people and stories from others affected by the church’s 1988 decision.
Through the act of storytelling and dialogue, participants will have the opportunity to feel community support, and develop a greater sense of empathy for the myriad of experiences people had or have had in The United Church of Canada.
The goal of the project is to share the collected stories with the wider church at the United Church’s 43rd General Council (GC 43) in August 2018 as a challenge for the church to determine how it might live into an apology to the church’s LGB2TTQ community.
The Living Apology project involves several steps.
- Step 1: Designing process for the collection of stories and programming relating to themes of reconciliation and lament from the LGB2TTQ community, its allies, and others affected by the 1988 decision.
- Step 2: Sharing and collection of stories/artifacts to travel throughout the country to be the centrepiece of events held that address material shared in the Living Apology.
- Step 3: Presentation of stories/artifacts to be shared at GC 43 (including multimedia art pieces). At this point, the church will be invited to engage and respond to the findings of the Living Apology.
- Familiarity with United Church ethos and structure
- Deep knowledge and familiarity with LGB2TTQ realities
- Excellent communication skills
- Comfortable and competent with social media
- A high degree of initiative and creativity—able to start the job running
- Networking skills
- Effective organizational/time management skills
- Ability to navigate contexts of conflict/trauma with sensitivity
- Experience with creation of safe space
- Technical abilities—creation of website, editing of videos, etc.
Resources for Ministry
- Part-time hours: 10 hours per week at $30/hour for 18 months
- Project Coordinator reports to Affirm United/S’affirmer Ensemble Council
Timeframe and Anticipated Outcomes
- March 2017: Orientation and project development.
- April 2017: Launch of project with online presence and promotion.
- April 2017–June 2018: Collection and sharing of stories across country. Please note that this process is expected to include participation in a variety of church events such as youth gatherings and Conference annual general meetings (AGM). Cost of travel is covered in the budget.
- July 2017: Collection and sharing of stories at AU/SE annual conference and AGM in Vancouver, BC.
- October 2017: Submission of preliminary report to Permanent Committee, Programs for Mission and Ministry, including anticipated outcomes.
- February 2018: Interim report to AU/SE Council.
- June 15, 2018: Final report to AU/SE Council.
- August 2018: Collection and sharing of stories at 1) AU/SE annual conference and AGM, and 2) GC 43 in Oshawa, ON.