The People in Partnership program enables United Church people and global partners to encounter each other, accompany each other in God’s mission, and learn more about each other’s contexts. The program provides a framework for the exchange of people (from Canada to global partners, and from global partners to Canada).
This position is a cross-cultural embodiment of the mission relationship between The United Church of Canada and the United Church of Zambia (UCZ).
The successful applicant will work at the Kafue Boys’ Secondary School under the supervision of the Headteacher. The Farm Manager is responsible for implementing and supervising all programmes at the farm. Primary responsibilities include managing and motivating other workers on the team, ensuring effective implementation of farm activities, preparing quarterly financial reports, overseeing and coordinating all ventures (including vegetable garden, orchard, animal husbandry, main field, tractor hire), introducing new innovative ventures at the farm, equipment maintenance, and other tasks as required. The incumbent must have a willingness to learn and accompany the mission and ministry of the United Church of Zambia and the Kafue Boys’ Secondary School.
The United Church affirms a vision of an intercultural church that is welcoming, relational, adaptive, justice-seeking, intentional, and mission-centred. The church affirms that right relations are at the heart of God’s mission, and that global partnerships are opportunities for expressions of relationships that are respectful, equitable, just, and mutually accountable. As a denomination, the United Church understands that for transformation, love, and justice to happen we need to understand each other’s contexts more deeply, and understand how those contexts impact each other for good or harm.
Reasonable accommodation will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Active commitment to, and articulation of, the gospel of Jesus Christ and participation in The United Church of Canada with solid knowledge of the mission and ministry of The United Church of Canada, its partnership in mission policy and practice, and support of the ecumenical movement;
- Familiarity with and knowledge of farm operations, and equipment usage and maintenance;
- Solid understanding of the principles of sustainable agriculture, sufficient to be able to adapt to different contexts with resources available;
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as required to ensure successful farm operation;
- Ability to exercise self-awareness, sensitivity, and compassion often working within areas of cultural difference. Personal integrity, maturity, and respect for others essential;
- Lived cross-cultural experience an asset, preferably in church or church-related work;
- Language skills in addition to English a strong asset;
- Intellectual discipline and alertness. Good physical condition, mental and emotional stability and maturity; good self-esteem; in touch with one’s own needs, strengths, and limitations;
- Willingness and ability to move to Kafue, Zambia, and to work under the direction of the partners; ability to live a simple lifestyle; and
- Willingness to work in a faith-based environment and participate in the life and worship of that community.
This position works from the Kafue Boys’ Secondary School in Zambia under normal farm working conditions. Evening and weekend work is expected as required. The appointment will include a home assignment at the midway mark.
All appointments are subject to the following conditions:
- a positive recommendation for overseas service from the Church in Mission Unit’s medical consultant based on a thorough medical examination, and approval of application for insurance from the overseas medical insurance carrier;
- a satisfactory outcome from a Police Records Check through the Canadian Police Information Centre via the RCMP; and
- Global Partner approval