The General Council and Conference Offices, as part of the wider church, support the ministry and mission of the congregations, presbyteries, Conferences and other mission units and are the national expression of The United Church of Canada, working ecumenically and in global partnership. The Church in Mission Unit supports the work of the wider church in the areas of Specialized and Institutional Ministries, Ministries in French, Congregational and Global Mission, Church Development, Migrant and Ethno-specific Congregational Support, Inter-cultural and Anti-racism work, Faith Formation for all ages, Music and Worship.
The Bilingual Program Assistant is a key member of the administrative team who provides administrative support the Team Leader: Faith Formation and Mission, and bilingual administrative expertise to the Responsable, Ministries in French, and other program staff as needed.
They will provide high level administrative support including hospitality, the flow of communication, coordinating schedules and events, managing correspondence, responding to routine inquiries and proactively gathering appropriate background materials. They will manage, gather and organize relevant portfolio data/documentation including surveys, statistical information, resources, network-related details, programs, and meetings as required. They will prepare and/or co-ordinate team reports/materials as required and provide research assistance together with analysis, presentation of data or reports and undertakes specific projects, as assigned.
The Bilingual Program Assistant will provide immediate, professional response to e-mail, telephone, and correspondence in both official languages and will serve as the primary point of contact for Ministries in French and take initiative to deal proactively with issues in the absence of the Responsable. They will need to maintain a broad awareness of issues, networks, and resources related to the two portfolios (Faith Formation & Mission, and Ministries in French) by attending program and networking meetings and reading relevant reports and periodicals.
This position also provides administrative support to the various task groups, steering groups and committees working with the unit. This includes meeting preparation and follow-up, accurate minute taking, logistical arrangements, agenda coordination, and record keeping.
Reasonable accommodation shall be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Post-secondary education together with 3-5 years of experience in a senior administration role;
- Verbal and written fluency in both French and English, French as first language is preferred;
- Solid computer skills in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), internet and social media applications;
- Well-developed administrative, planning/time management, problem-solving, organizational and follow through skills, together with the ability to juggle multiple tasks at the same time;
- Excellent research skills with the ability to collect, analyze data and write routine reports, draft letters, correspondence;
- Strong minute-taking skills in both languages;
- Excellent communication skills, including writing and editing, proofreading, social media, and web enhancement ability, with a keen eye for detail;
- A team player, with the ability to lead from behind with “Customer service” ethics and experience;
- Knowledge and understanding of francophone contexts throughout Canada, is an asset;
- Understanding of The United Church of Canada structures, work, programs, courts, and activities is an asset.
This position works from the General Council Office located in Toronto, Ontario (Islington/Bloor) under normal office working conditions. Attendance at occasional evening and weekend meetings may be required.