The Duty of Care Program works with ministries to protect individuals through developing, implementing, and monitoring compliance with administrative standards.
Exercising a duty of care involves taking steps to avoid causing foreseeable harm to another person or his/her property.
- Administrative Standards
- Download standards for various types of ministry.
- Emergency Planning
- Knowing what to do in the event of an emergency is part of good planning, one of the principles of duty of care.
- Governance Responsibilities
- Sound financial management, regular audits, and carrying the right types and amounts of insurance are parts of a duty of care.
- Incorporation: Section 429
- Incorporating as a United Church ministry involves not only provincial/federal regulations but also church requirements, which are identified in section 429 of The Manual.
- Caring Community
- Demonstrating a duty of care includes providing an environment where people feel safe.