The United Church Women was formed in 1962 by the coming together of the Woman's Association (WA) and the Woman's Missionary Society (WMS), organizations with impressive legacies. Over the ensuing 50 years the UCW has upheld the faith and commitment of the women of the past while taking on the challenges of each new decade and forming an equally impressive legacy for women of the future. True to their multi-talented and energetic record, the women of the UCW are celebrating this 50-year milestone in a number of ways.
- Our Tapestry of Love
An event to celebrate the anniversary at Redeemer University College, Ancaster, Ontario (July 23–27, 2012). All women of the United Church are invited. Registration forms available from Conference and presbyterial presidents. For more information or to register, check the Hamilton Conference website. Registration deadline: February 2, 2012.
Marking the Anniversary
- Ordinary Heroes: Celebrating United Church Women
A collection of reflections, stories, and anecdotes written by former Moderators, former staff associated with women's ministries, and UCW members from all across Canada. The contributions have been organized to frame the four pillars of the UCW purpose—witness, study, fellowship, and service. Available February 29 in both book and e-book from UCRDstore.
- Fund Midwife Training Courses for Women [PDF: 2 pp/157 KB]
An anniversary project to raise $50,000 to fund midwife training courses for the Morogoro Women Training Centre in Tanzania.
- Anniversary pins available from UCW Conference presidents and presbyterials.
- Anniversary bulletin covers available from UCW Conference presidents and presbyterials.
- Anniversary worship services. E-mail Dorothy Amos.
- Anniversary song, “A Tapestry of Love,” written by Diana Chappell, who has given permission for the song to be used at any UCW event throughout 2012. Solo version (free) and SA, SSA, and SATB versions ($1 per copy) available electronically on the Virgo Music Canada website. Or e-mail Diana Chappell . The UCW anniversary song will also be available on CD and by MP3 download.
- An additional anniversary song, "United Church Women," written by Rena Edgley (which can be used by anyone and at any time) is available through UCW Conference or presbyterial presidents.