The United Church of Canada is deeply concerned about the emergency situation now affecting several countries in the Horn of Africa. On July 20, 2011, the United Church launched an appeal in response to this crisis and is currently inviting donations. Our hearts go out to the millions of people affected.
The church invites its members to join in prayer and support. Read the latest updates.
Please provide your support today. All donations received and designated for "Horn of Africa Drought Relief" will be applied directly to support United Church partners in this work. Please join the 5077 individuals who have donated $1,343,053 to date.
- Online via our secure donation page.
- Phone 416-231-5931 or toll-free 1-800-268-3781 x 2026 and use your Visa or MasterCard.
- Send a cheque, money order, or Visa or MasterCard information with donation amount to:
- The United Church of Canada
Philanthropy Unit - Emergency Response
3250 Bloor Street West, Suite 300
Toronto, ON M8X 2Y4
Please be sure to note "Emergency Response—Horn of Africa" on the face of your cheque.
What Our Supporters Are Saying
It is good to be able to help in some small way and share our abundance with an area of the world who need our help and prayers.
Ron and Ilene M., Moncton, New Brunswick
May you be given strength, courage and hope.
Heather W., La Ronge, Saskatchewan
May God Bless you and give you strength. May [God's] love guide you and give you hope for a better tomorrow.
Helen M., Mississauga, Ontario
Latest Response Updates
Related News and Info
- Horn of Africa Donations FAQ [PDF: 3 pp/188 KB]
- This document answers some common questions received by the General Council Office since the launch of the Emergency Appeal, and also provides guidelines for treasurers and congregations dealing with Horn of Africa donations.
- Congregational Gifts Template
An easy summary for treasurers creating Horn of Africa donation lists to send to General Council Office. Available in 2 formats.
- Prayers & Litanies for Eastern Africa Food Crisis
The Canadian Foodgrains Bank, an ecumenical association of which the United Church is a founding member, is offering a collection of prayers, litanies, and hymns appropriate for the Horn of Africa crisis.
Background and Analysis
- Horn of Africa Emergency, 2011—Backgrounder [PDF: 3 pp/59 KB]
This document provides background information answering three questions: Were there warning signs? What factors have contributed to the 2011 crisis? and What related issues are also a concern?
- Shocking Images Aren't Enough
In an opinion piece in The Globe and Mail, Doctors without Borders explains why aid organizations need to avoid using simple messages when hoping for permanent solutions.
From Our Partners
- ACT Alliance
Stay on top of the latest news with updates from our partner, ACT Alliance.
- Famine Highlights Long-Term Injustices
Peter Prove of the Ecumenical Advocacy Alliance discusses root causes of the food security crisis in the Horn of Africa and why understanding them is essential to providing emergency food aid and other assistance. The United Church is a member of the EAA.
For further information, contact: