- Process of Discerning Ministry
- Individuals who believe they are called by God to a specific ministry in The United Church of Canada may ask to enter into an inquiry/discernment period.
Order of Ministry
- Diaconal Ministry
- Diaconal ministers carry out a ministry of education, service, and pastoral care. They are members of the Order of Ministry of The United Church of Canada.
- Ordained Ministry
- Ordained ministers are ordained to a ministry of word, sacrament, and pastoral care. They are members of the Order of Ministry of The United Church of Canada.
- Licensed Lay Worship Leaders
- Licensed lay worship leaders can provide Sunday worship leadership in the presbyteries of The United Church of Canada in which they are licensed.
Congregational designated ministers [PDF: 20 pp/219 KB] (previously called congregational accountable ministers) are baptized lay people employed by a pastoral charge in a specified ministry position that has been designated by the presbytery as a congregational designated ministry accountable to the Official Board (or equivalent).
Designated lay ministers (previously called lay pastoral ministers and staff associates) are lay members of the United Church appointed by the presbytery to serve in a presbytery-accountable ministry.