News releases and announcements regarding the United Church's response to the Indian Residential Schools legacy.
- United Church Responds to Public Notice of Intent (February 19, 2010)
- The United Church responds to Jeremiah Jourdain's public notice of intent.
- FrontRunners Study Guide Helps Residential School Discussions (April 29, 2009)
- The award-winning Canadian film Niiganibatowaad: FrontRunners can now be used as a resource for churches to explore issues of racism, residential schools, and healing.
- Churches Confident in Truth and Reconciliation Commissioners (October 23, 2008)
- In a joint statement, the Canadian churches that were parties to the Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement expressed confidence in the two remaining Truth and Reconciliation Commissioners.
- Tenth Anniversary of the Residential Schools Apology (October 17, 2008)
- United Church members are encouraged to take time to mark the 10th anniversary of the residential schools apology this month.
- A Committee Reflects on an Apology Received (June 16, 2008)
- A “diary” of the Residential Schools Steering Committee's experience of Canada’s long-awaited apology to residential schools survivors and their families.
- Call for Unprecedented Public Attention to June 11 Apology (June 5, 2008)
- The United Church is calling on Canadians to stop what they are doing on June 11 to watch or listen to the Prime Minister deliver Canada’s apology to residential school survivors and their families.
- June 11 Apology Must Be a Defining Moment in Canadian History (June 2, 2008)
- The United Church has urged the Prime Minister to ensure that the June 11 apology to residential school survivors and their families will be a defining moment in the healing of our nation.
- United Church Response to Kevin Annett’s Letter of Demand (March 19, 2008)
- General Secretary Nora Sanders responds to a letter of demand delivered to the United Church by Kevin Annett and members of a group he founded called The Friends and Relatives of the Disappeared.
- Remembering the Children of Residential Schools (March 3, 2008)
- An Aboriginal and church leaders’ tour to focus on legacy of Residential Schools.
- Preparing for Truth and Reconciliation (February 28, 2008)
- Aboriginal and church leaders will gather in Ottawa next week to mark the beginning of a multi-city tour to promote the work of Canada’s Indian Residential Schools Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
- Remembering the Children (February 15, 2008)
- In early March, the Moderator will join Aboriginal and church leaders in a multi-city tour to promote the work of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
- Kevin Annett and The United Church of Canada (May 2007, updated January 2008)
- Information on the claims made by Kevin Annett about the United Church and its role in the Indian Residential Schools system.
- United Church Encouraged by Government Commitment to Search Residential School Records (April 25, 2007)
- We applaud the initiative to search for information related to the deaths of students who attended residential schools.
- United Church Agrees to Sign Residential Schools Settlement Agreement (May 2, 2006)
- This historic agreement begins to address the harm done to Aboriginal individuals and communities by the Indian Residential School system.
- Agreement in Principle on Indian Residential Schools (November 23, 2005)
- The United Church welcomes the comprehensive resolution package introduced November 23 by the Government of Canada.
- Supreme Court Decision in the Barney (Blackwater) Lawsuit (October 2005)
- The Supreme Court of Canada decision in the Barney (Blackwater) lawsuit concludes the legal process examining the question of vicarious liability between the federal government and the United Church.
- Residential Schools—Baxter Class Action (March 2004)
- This lawsuit, launched in Ontario, seeks to represent all survivors of the federal residential schools system across the country as well as parents and children of survivors.
- Response to the Government Announcement Related to Residential Schools Settlement (October 30, 2001)
- While the statement represents a movement from the government’s earlier position that liabilities should be split 50/50 between government and church, there remain serious problems with the proposal.
- Churches Urge Comprehensive Solution to Indian Residential Schools Settlement (October 29, 2001)
- Reacting to a government decision to move unilaterally toward a partial solution to resolving residential schools claims, churches urged the government to consider a comprehensive solution.
- Court Decision Rules Canada 75 Percent Liable in Alberni Indian Residential School Trial (July 10, 2001)
- The long-awaited decision by British Columbia Supreme Court Chief Justice Donald Brenner.
- Response to Recent National Post Articles on Residential Schools (March 23, 2001)
- The articles by Richard Foot and the editorial have raised at least four significant issues that warrant reflection and response on the part of the United Church.
- United Church of Canada General Council Executive Statement (June 26, 1998)
- These actions related to the Port Alberni Residential School Lawsuit were taken by the General Council Executive on June 26, 1998.
- Information Regarding the Alberni Indian Residential School Lawsuit (June 19, 1998)
- While many questions are unanswerable at this time, we hope that the following information may be useful in helping you to understand some of the complexities of this ongoing lawsuit.